Sunday, January 23, 2011

Venezia

Well hello there

First of all. I'm sorry for not being as persisted in the whole blogging during my stay in Italy. I lost my mojo over there. You know the whole story, first I was home sick then some shit-th hit-th the fan-th. But now I realize that I should of been updating it no matter what. 

My last blog was from when I went to the snow. The next major event which happened after the snow was I went to Venice. Now I let you all on a little secret. I fell in love with Venice before I arrived in Italy. Seriously how more gorgeous can you get then waking up to the ocean literally at your doorstop. In photos that I saw before I went to Venezia (the Italian name) I fell in love with the colours. But the photos do most definitely not do the place justice. First of all to get there you have to either train it or boat it. My group and I trained it. ( by group i mean Izzy, Milo, Miles, Natasha and our host families). We left in the morning and watched the sun kinda rise over the sea then we arrive at the train station and you step outside the train station and your view is the photo below 


The thing that i found so very disappointing was the 'modern art' as my group and I called it. By Modern Art, we mean the great ugly advertisements on these gorgeous buildings. However, I found that graffiti (True Modern Art) was everywhere through Italy (I don't know if I have mentioned this). Some of it was gorgeous and others well... they weren't. I do beleive however, that the graffiti in Venice was gorgeous -like it had a purpose besides being a rebellious act of society. 

I am going to share with you all two stories of my Venice trip -purely because they are in my top three favourite stories from Italy. 

The first one is: 
We were walking through this Jewish Ghetto and as we enter a small Piazza (piazza, not pizza.... its a town square) this old man who would of been about 50-60 walks past as. Sounds normal right? Well he was wearing a Bright Purple Skinny Jeans. A purple Polo Shirt with a Red Jumper. My friend Greta and I saw him and laughed about it for a while. :S Then later on that day we were eating pizza from the best place ever. ( I know I know. I've said that about all the pizzeria's we went to.. but I'm serious... it was bloody good) and I see the same man walking towards as again. So with one swift movement i pulled out my camera and took a photo of our man. Little did we know that the tightness had made his umm.. well you know... uncomfortable and we caught it :s 
Please feel free to check him out <3 


My Second Story is much less comical and more harder to explain. We had finally reached the Main Square in Venice called Piazza San Marco (Saint Mark's Square) and you can go up to the top of the bell tower. I am terrified by heights so for me this was pretty daunting to do. I walked in jumped into an elevator (Lazy i know, but they had blocked the stairs) and the elevator doors opened and my fears disappeared. It was the most beautiful site in the world. If I lived in Venice I would go there daily and write my blog from there. Anyways I'm distracted. I could see everywhere over the tops of Venice. But the most magical thing was that it was right on sunset and there was a light breeze. It was magical. It was the most peaceful I felt in a long time. I know it sounds corny but it was almost as if I had for a few seconds I was completely calm about the situation which had happened at the current time and I think that was when I accepted  it. However as I was having this self finding  a bell tower in the distant began to ring (like I said.... They are all out of time) and that was beautiful. I was looking around the bell tower, seeing what I could see, when the bell directly above me rang! It was the LOUDEST thing I have ever heard and it was beautiful. It was so loud I blocked my ears with my hands. Then for the sake of it I closed my eyes. The sound was amazing- it vibrated through my whole body. I know my words aren't doing it justice which sucks but it was gorgeous. If anyone who is reading this gets the chance to go to venice go into the tower at 4pm and you'll witness something like what i did. 




1 comment:

  1. that sounds amazing, maybe i should take you back someday

    ReplyDelete